Friday, May 3, 2013

Post 28: No Smoking Sign Ashtray


No matter how you may feel about smoking, this No Smoking Sign Ashtray also known as Patent# US D 500166 is sure to make you smile. The ornamental design for a no smoking sign ashtray, as shown and described. The design patent for this invention came up for review in 2004 two and-a-half weeks before the New York City Council voted to ban cigarette smoking from bars and restaurants. The designer created this ashtray to simulate the sullen, silent outrage of city smokers.


Before we get to judge this silly and funny patent. For the USPTO to issue a patent, the invention must be novel, non-obvious, and useful. Now let us take a look at this patent. When I first looked at it, I was so surprised that it is actually called a patent. Clearly, it is not novel at all for 2004. We have seen so many different kinds of ashtray before, with music, light, and so on. Non-obvious? I doubt it. The patent is kind of boring for me. I wonder if that is because I am not a smoker. While I don’t see any attraction to the consumers at all. Usefulness? Sure. A “normal” ashtray for smokers to collect ash. Validity? Hmmmm. Maybe not for me. I am sure there is someone had this design before, but did not file a patent for it. Apparently, from the news above we know the inventor filed the patent before NY voted for banning smoking from bars and restaurants, so I think it is more like a political show to attract voters’ eyes. I don’t think many people will spend money for this “great idea” patent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment